Followers

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Ink Wash, Airbrush, or Diluted Paint? - NO – Carbon Dust



Check out my shading demo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcGBhU4uzOA

Thanks to all who responded to my shading question challenge. Ink wash, airbrush, and diluted paint were some good answers, but that's not how I shaded my Tangle Teaching Tree. Congratulations to tangler Amy Broady whose answer was almost spot on! She said, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you utilized a powdered medium to achieve your gorgeous shading. Loose graphite, perhaps? Something that could be applied and blended with your fingers as well as a variety of tools, from brushes to sponges, cotton balls to cloth."

Answer: Though a bit generalized, Amy guessed right. In botanical illustration (remember that's my art background) we use the traditional medium carbon dust. So it's not graphite, but definitely a powdered medium. I made my own by sanding charcoal sticks and charcoal pencils with a fine-toothed paper. Pretty messy!

This video clearly shows how I brushed on the carbon dust to give the magical illusion  of dimension on the flat surface. Hope this helps some of you out there who are still timid about shading your Zentangle creations.





No comments:

Post a Comment